Sunday, September 10, 2017

Ginger Molasses Cookies

These Ginger Molasses Cookies have been in my repertoire for a long time, but it had been a while since I'd made them. I usually baked them to include in treat boxes that I used to make up for Christmas gifts. When I was considering what to make for the Nashville Food Blogger bake sale for Hurricane Harvey relief efforts, they seemed a perfect option. The warm spices and dark sweetness of the molasses are appropriate for the approach of autumn. Better yet, they are easy to make and package, both important considerations when baking for a sale.


Whenever I make these, I wonder why I don't make them more often, because they are more delicious than the recipe would make you think. The original recipe (I didn't make note of the source and have forgotten what it was) called them a Ginger Snap, but they do not snap. While they are a firm cookie with a slightly crisp edge, there's still a bit of softness that makes them a satisfying bite with a bit of chew.


Recently I picked up a set of OXO cookie scoops, and the small one is perfect for these. A level scoop full makes the perfect size ball, and having a standard measurement ensures cookies of the same size. I always have trouble with consistency when making drop cookies, and now problem solved!



Another product note: I'm a big fan of Penzey's seasonings. I can tell the difference in these cookies especially since I started using Penzey's ginger and other spices. They have a few shops scattered throughout the country. I've visited the shop in Birmingham, but since they don't have one here in Nashville (hint, hint) I make my purchases online. Not only are their products fresh and flavorful, but they have frequent sales, giveaways, and deals on shipping. To top it off, they are a generous company who have their own program to support Harvey relief efforts. For every $25 contribution, Penzey's will provide a $50 gift card to those feeding Harvey victims, and to those who lost their kitchens to the storm. To learn more, visit Card of Hope.


I've never iced these, but a basic thin white icing is frequently found on cookies like this. One day I'll have to give that a go.

Ginger Molasses Cookies


2 cups all-purpose flour (I use White Lily)
2 tsp baking soda
1 tsp cinnamon
3/4 tsp ginger
1/2 tsp ground cloves
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 cup shortening
1/4 cup butter, softened
1 cup sugar
1/4 cup molasses
1 egg
Additional sugar for forming the cookies

Sift together flour, baking soda, spices, and salt. Cream shortening and butter with sugar until light and fluffy. Add molasses and egg, beating well. Add the flour mixture to the butter & sugar in 3 or 4 batches, mixing well after each addition. Place a sheet of plastic wrap snugly over the dough and chill a few hours, up to a few days.

When ready to bake, preheat the oven to 375°. Form dough into 1-inch balls and roll in sugar. Place the balls on a greased or parchment-lined baking sheet, about 2 inches apart. Slightly flatten each ball with a spatula or flat-bottomed drinking glass dipped in sugar. Bake for 8-10 minutes; when done the surface of the cookie will start to crack. Keep unused dough covered and refrigerated until ready to bake.

  

No comments: